Thursday, August 05, 2004

Venice Update

After our northern Italy/Austria sidetrips, we got back on our itinerary and arrived in Venice on time yesterday evening. The hostel address said it was located just right of the train station down the calle di spagne and within easy walking distance, although for the life of us we couldn't find it. After walking back and forth down the street we found the door to the hostel down a dark alley, barely wide enough to walk through and barely lit up enough to see in front of us. We rang the bell, he let us in, and we walked up the three flights of stairs of what seemed like a warehouse. He was nice enough though and it turned out to be a great little room with a view of the dome of the nearby cathedral.

Spent the evening wandering the streets.

Ategelato on the way to the pizzaria and on the way back from the pizzaria.

The cathedral bells woke us up early today.

Saw San Marco's Piazza and the Palazzo early and thankfully so because an hour after we were there the place was packed. I have to let the piazza sink in a little bit before I write about it but for now I can easily say it was one of the most beautiful basilicas/plazas I've ever seen.

Gondola ride around the neighborhood.

Back to the Piazza tonight for overpriced drinks and an amazing view of the basilica.

Details on Venice and the rest of the night later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home