Montalcino and the Tuscan Hill Towns
Tuscany: www.masterlyinactivity.com/europe/tuscany.jpg
We're staying with an italian lady named Annalisa who told us to call when we arrived in the city because her place was difficult to find. When we did she said "oh Nicole! I've been looking for you!" and picked us from the main piazza within minutes. She took us to the base of the town where her house sits overlooking the countryside and showed us our room. Spent the rest of the evening and the day after in Montalcino.
*The old ladies wear flowered moo-moos. You see them opening their shutters in the morning, staring out their windows in the afternoon, talking on the streets in the evening, and by the time you're walking home from dinner late at night, their all congregated at the base of the huge alleyways still talking: I think its because they took all to get down the hills and now they're too tired to get back up them.
*Everyone has a garden: most everyone has a vineyard, big or small. I saw one house with kiwis growing above the awning on the patio. And don't think that those little old italian ladies can't swing a pick-ax because we've clearly witnessed it.
*The town has a main wall that separates it from the countryside and if you walk to the western-most side of the town there's a church. The ground drops off after the church and you can sit on the benches behind the wall, next to the church and look out onto the small farm houses from above: red-tiled rooftops, chimneys, worn-away stone, vineyards and cypres trees. The fields are yellow from the wheat thats been cut away. The plots that are plowed are dark dark brown, almost black soil. None of it really seems real.
*Had gnocchetti with pomodoro sauce, bruschetta, polenta, and a creme caramel last night.
*Have to stop writing because we have to catch a bus but I feel unsatisfied. Montalcino is the most beautiful town we've seen. Can't wait to get the pictures back.

7 Comments:
Salut! J'ai besoin de l'addresse pour ton apartement a Aix. Je veux le voir sur le carte. Je suis excite parce que le voyage est bientot! Je ne praticque pas mon fraincaise...je suis mal. Envoyez-moi les directions pour notre rendezvous a Paris!
Serre dans ses bras!
(all that to say 'hugs'--talk about flowery language)
Telephonez moi au demain!
Dit Nicole "allo!"
Ton gauche cousine,
Jaimes
Good news from STL! I just found out today that the Chocolate Bar is re-opening under new management and will offer 15 - yes, 15! - flavors of Serendipity's Homemade Ice Cream! Yum!
Just thought I'd let you and Jaime know! Can't wait to go there when you're back!
Love,
Kathryn
Daniel,
My mom and dad need to know if you are going to have a break at all in late October. Also Grandma and Grandpa said that they miss you and are thinking of you. Grandpa doesn't want his shoes back if they are smelly. Also, get us your address when you can....people want to send you stuff.
Hi Danielkins, I wish I knew how to make this print larger! I'm going to try to make Dulce de Leche Gelato. Well see if I can do it. Sounds like you're having a spectacular time. Love Baboo Whats a mullet?????I've never seen that on Jeopardy
Jealous, Jealous, Jealous:
This is what I had for dinner tonight: pate, beef tenderloin with braised green beans and carrots, and the best creme brulee ever. Also had a great bottle of wine title "fichet." Sat outside at Chez Leon!!! Beautiful weather tonight and great people watching. Also had a great cup of mint tea with dessert. Now its your turn~~
Bon Soir.
Hola hermano,
Clearly, I'm not that skilled at speaking in foriegn tounges - that's your department - and therefore I am choosing to write in what I refer to as "Spanglsih". Maybe someday I'll be able to write more sophisticated sentences, but for now, here goes nothing!
ME ESCRIBAS, por favor!
Trabaje anoche y gane dinero.
Necesito practicar mi espanol ... escuela empieza en el 23 de agosto ... que loco!
Todas las cosas que estas mirando (ver es muy dificil to conjugate) son muy bonita! Me alegre que estas viviendo con gente que se quieras.
Sacas muchas fotos para nosotros!
(Can't remember how to 'give commands' ... do you switch the AR endings with the ER/IR ones? That sounds right, but who knows)
Anyway, I still can't believe it's going to be so long until we see you! Still feels like you're coming back in a couple of weeks instead of a year. I'll be sure to keep you up-to-date, though! (Read below)
The stable has been good lately. I've been jumping a lot and having fun.
Work continues to be ... well, work! I still enjoy it well enough, however half the staff is going away to college this week and it won't quite be the same without them. I'll give it a month or two and see how it goes.
I'm also finishing up my senior service! I'm volunteering at Children's Home Society and go on field trips with the kids! It's certainly a different but wonderful experience for me. The kids challenge me in ways I wasn't expecting them to. Funny how God works in people's lives through others, huh?
Other than that not much is going on here! I've been spending lots of time with my friends lately and made them tour SLU with me the other day! It is an absolutely gorgeous campus and a fantastic school, so I think I'm going to apply there early this fall. I am, however, still partial to Xavier!
Well, I hope that you and Nicole are enjoying your travels! Have fun and be safe!
With love,
Kathryn
Daniel,
Your descriptions of your travels are wonderful. While Scotland, France and Italy might sound exciting, we have had our share of good times at the St. Michael's soccer tournament nightly! Odenwald Field is beautiful this time of year! Enjoy your trip. You are becoming a Citizen of the World!
The Plebans
Post a Comment
<< Home